100 Best Inspirational Travel Quotes That Will Leave You With Wanderlust
Looking for inspirational travel quotes? You are in the right place!
Check out these beautiful quotes designed to pick you up and motivate you to keep living your life to the fullest.
We have been on the road for over five years now, and whenever we feel like we need a little boost of inspiration these travel quotes remind us why we do what we do!
New places always inspire us to discover more and set higher goals.
We sometimes need a small reminder of why we do what we do, and inspiring travel quotes are the best way to motivate us.
The more we have travelled the more we realised what we wanted to do with our lives (well besides more travel haha).
We love to explore new places and hike new mountains with mountain quotes in mind.
Other days we feel like just sitting on the beach and watch the world go by while thinking of our best sunset quotes.
We felt it would also help if we put a list of our all-time favourite travel quotes for you.
You can pin any of these travel quotes to your Pinterest board :-)
We made a mix of unique and common quotes along with some of our own travel quotes.
If you love these please like and share the post! We appreciate it.
Here are our favourite inspiring travel quotes:
1. ‘Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.’ – David McCullough Jr.
2. ‘Live life with no excuses, travel with no regret – Oscar Wilde
3. ‘To Travel is to Live” – Hans Christian Andersen
4. ‘Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.’ – Andre Gide
5. ‘Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.’ – Dr. Seuss
6. ‘No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.’ – Lin Yutang
7. ‘The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. – Lao Tzu
8. ‘Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.’ – Seneca
9. ‘Travel makes us realise what we want to do in life and where we want to go’ – Sunset Travellers
10. ‘The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot.’ – Michael Altshuler
11. ‘All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveller is unaware’ – Martin Buber
12. ‘We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.’ – Walt Disney
13. ‘Travel brings power and love back into your life.’ – Rumi Jalalud-Din
14. ‘Take only memories, leave only footprints.’ – Chief Seattle
15. ‘Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.’ – Gustave Flaubert
16. ‘We should travel light and live simply. Our enemy is not possessions but excess.’ – John Stott
17. ‘Travel is a new experience that can transport you out of your everyday routine to create memories with the ones you love.’ – Brian Chesky
18. ‘It’s been a huge blessing, being able to travel and have a great life.’ – Seann William Scott
19. ‘A small step forward is better than no step at all.’ – Sunset Travellers
20. ‘If you don’t get out of the box you’ve been raised in, you won’t understand how much bigger the world is.’ – Angelina Jolie
21. ‘The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see.’ – Gilbert K. Chesterton
22. ‘The world is a book, and those who don’t travel only read one page.’ – St Augustine
23. ‘Travel is a new experience that can transport you out of your everyday routine to create memories with the ones you love.’ – Brian Chesky
24. ‘Take a moment, look where you are in your life and imagine where you could be.’ – Sunset Travellers
25. ‘How often I found where I should be going only by setting out for somewhere else.’ – R. Buckminster Fuller
26. ‘We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.’ – Author Unknown
27. ‘Once a year go some place you’ve never been before.’ – Dalai Lama
28. ‘The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.’ – Marcel Proust
29. ‘Travel with a partner merges your experiences and divides your problems.’ – Sunset Travellers
30. ‘Life isn’t about how many breaths you take, but it’s the moments that take your breath away.’ – Will Smith
31. ‘Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.’ – Anthony Bourdain
32. ‘People don’t take trips – trips take people’ – John Steinbeck
33. ‘Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination.’ -Roy M. Goodman
34. ‘The most beautiful in the world is, of course, the world itself.’ – Wallace Stevens
35. ‘Jobs fill your pocket, but adventures fill your soul.’ – Jamie Lyn Beatty
36. ‘The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have.’ – Anna Quindlen
37. ‘Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.’― Mark Twain
38. ‘Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures.’ – Lovelle Drachman
39. ‘If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine: It’s Lethal.’ – Paul Coelho
40. ‘Sunsets are not a rare commodity, they come and go every night; so I compare you not to a sunset for you come once in a life.’ – Daniel Cook
41. ‘A ship in a harbour is safe, but it not what ships are built for.’ -John A. Shedd
42. ‘Travel far enough, you meet yourself.’ – David Mitchell
43. ‘If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.’ – James Michener
44. ‘To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.’ – Aldous Huxley
45. ‘A person susceptible to “wanderlust” is not so much addicted to movement as committed to transformation.’ – Pico Iyer
46. ‘The gladdest moment in human life, me thinks, is a departure into unknown lands.’ – Sir Richard Burton
47. ‘Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire.’ – Jennifer Lee
48. ‘Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.’ – Ibn Battuta
49. ‘Better to see something once than hear about it a thousand times.’ – Author Unknown
50. ‘Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.’ – Jack Kerouac
51. ‘All you need to know is that it’s possible.’ – Wolf, an Appalachian Trail Hiker
52. ‘The most beautiful in the world is, of course, the world itself.’ – Wallace Stevens
53. ‘Work, Travel, Save, Repeat’
54. ‘The journey not the arrival matters.’ –T.S. Eliot
55. ‘Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.’ – Ralph Waldo Emerson
56. ‘Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.’ – Seneca
57. ‘And then there is the most dangerous risk of all — the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.’ – Randy Komisar
58. ‘Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.’ – Helen Keller
59. ‘One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.’ – Henry Miller
60. ‘All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveller is unaware.’ – Martin Buber
61. ‘Travel makes a wise man better but a fool worse.’ – Thomas Fuller
62. ‘The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.’ – Agustine of Hippo
63. ‘Not all those who wander are lost’. – J.R.R. Tolkien
64. ‘Our happiest moments as tourists always seem to come when we stumble upon one thing while in pursuit of something else.’ – Lawrence Block
65. ‘Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.’ – Ralph Waldo Emerson
66. ‘Travelling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comforts of home and friends.’ – Cesare Pavese
67. ‘Every man can transform the world from one of monotony and drabness to one of excitement and adventure.’ – Irving Wallace
68. ‘We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.’ – Anaïs Nin
69. ‘ Life is a journey, enjoy every second of it as the time passes fast.’ – Sunset Travellers
70. ‘He who would travel happily must travel light.’ -Antoine de St. Exupery
71. ‘I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.’ – Mark Twain
72. ‘A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.’ – Tim Cahill
73. ‘Like all great travellers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.’ – Benjamin Disraeli
74. ‘Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.’ – Jack Keroua
75. ‘The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams.’ – Oprah Winfrey
76. ‘Once in a while it really hits people that they don’t have to experience the world in the way they have been told to.’ – Alan Keightley
77. ‘Wherever you go, go with all your heart.’ – Confucius
78. ‘A great way to learn about your country is to leave it’. – Henry Rollins
79. ‘You don’t have to be rich to travel well.’ – Eugene Fodor
80. ‘Own only what you can always carry with you: known languages, known countries, known people. Let your memory be your travel bag.’ – Alexandr Solzhenitsyn
81. ‘When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money.’ – Susan Heller
82. ‘Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less travelled by.’ – Robert Frost
83. ‘There was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars.’ – Jack Kerouac
84. ‘Live your life by a compass, not a clock.’ – Stephen Covey
85. ‘Happiness is letting go of what you think your life is supposed to look like and celebrate it for everything that it is.’ – Mandy Hale
86. ‘Go and explore the world, life is too short to spend it in an office.’ – Sunset Travellers
87. ‘Everything you do is based on the choices you make.’ – Wayne Dyer
88. ‘I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.’ – Mary Anne Radmacher
89. ‘To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.’ – Freya Stark
90. ‘I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.’ – Robert Louis Stevenson
91. ‘Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.’ – Anita Desai
92. ‘Take every chance you get in life, because some things only happen once.’ – Karen Gibbs
93. ‘I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read on the train.’ – Oscar Wilde
94. ‘Live life with no excuses, travel with no regret’. – Oscar Wilde
95. ‘Good company in a journey makes the way seem shorter.’ – Izaak Walton
96. ‘I travel not to cross countries off a list, but to ignite passionate affairs with destinations.’ – Nyssa P. Chopra
97. ‘People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things.’ – Edmund Hillary
98. ‘You need not even listen, just wait…the world will offer itself freely to you, unmasking itself.’ – Franz Kafka
99. ‘We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfilment.’ – Hilaire Belloc
100. ‘Travel expands the mind and fills the gap.’ – Sheda Savage
There you have it!
Some of the most inspiring travel quotes.
After years on the road, it is hard sometimes to remember why you started travelling in the first place, therefore we always look back at some of these travel quotes to remind us that it is all worth it.
‘If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.’
If you weren’t thinking about travelling by now we hope that you have at least booked a flight.
All in all, travel has been an amazing eye-opening experience for both of us.
Be sure to pin your favourite images of all of these travel quotes to your Pinterest board.
Or just share it with a friend who needs to get out there!
If you enjoyed these travel quotes we also like these lovely Irish Sayings which put a lot of things into context.
All the best and safe travels,
Steve and Sabina