Looking for inspirational travel quotes? You are in the right place!
Check out these beautiful quotes designed to pick you up and motivate you to keep living your life to the fullest.
We have been on the road for over five years now, and whenever we feel like we need a little boost of inspiration these travel quotes remind us why we do what we do!
We have finished two working holiday visas in Australia and Canada.
New places always inspire us to discover more and set higher goals.
We sometimes need a small reminder of why we do what we do, and inspiring travel quotes are the best way to motivate us.
The more we have travelled the more we realised what we wanted to do with our lives (well besides more travel haha).
We love to explore new places and hike new mountains with mountain quotes in mind.
Other days we feel like just sitting on the beach and watch the world go by while thinking of our best sunset quotes.
We felt it would also help if we put a list of our all-time favourite travel quotes for you.
You can pin any of these travel quotes to your Pinterest board 🙂
We made a mix of unique and common quotes along with some of our own travel quotes.
If you love these please like and share the post! We appreciate it.
Here are our favourite inspiring travel quotes:
- ‘Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.’ – David McCullough Jr.
‘Climb mountains, not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.’ – David McCullough Jr.
This is one of our all-time favourite famous travel quotes.
How often do we see people saying they travelled to all 195 countries in one year.
This seriously makes us wonder whether they actually managed to experience anything in the places they’ve been to.
In travelling it is not always about taking pictures and showing off how amazing you are, but to appreciate where you are and experience the country’s culture, habits and history.
You can go on as many adventures as you want, but if you are trying to only tick off places off your bucket list, there’s a high chance, you won’t feel enriched in any way after you get back home.
We usually spend 1-3 months in a country to explore it, get to know locals and take in all it has to offer.
We tend to rush everywhere in our day to day lives, but it is very important to just stop for a minute and appreciate what lies ahead of you.
So go ahead, climb your mountains and see the world.
- ‘Live life with no excuses, travel with no regret – Oscar Wilde
- ‘To Travel is to Live” – Hans Christian Andersen
- ‘Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.’ – Andre Gide
5. ‘Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.’ – Dr. Seuss
- ‘No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.’ – Lin Yutang
‘No one realizes how beautiful it is to travel until he comes home and rests his head on his old, familiar pillow.’ – Lin Yutang.
How many times have we travelled for months and returned home, only to realise how much we miss the sense of adventure.
Travelling makes us reacher in all aspects of our lives.
I come from a very small village in Poland where as a child I was looking at the sky and imagining that one day i will be on that aeroplane, heading towards some incredible destination.
Today, my dreams came true and every time I return back to my family home, I can’t help it but wonder where the road will lead me and Steve to next.
We are so blessed to be able to travel the world and share our experiences with you and all of our readers.
Some journeys are more challenging than others, but every time we come back home, we are a little different.
- ‘The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. – Lao Tzu
- ‘Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.’ – Seneca
- ‘Travel makes us realise what we want to do in life and where we want to go’ – Sunset Travellers
‘Travel makes us realise what we want to do in life and where we want to go’ – Sunset Travellers.
This is one of our travel quotes.
And we feel that the words speak for themselves.
When we first met and decided to travel to Australia together, little did we know how drastically our lives will change.
Years later we are still travelling the world, running our online business and planning our wedding in Portugal.
Travelling has made us realise what’s important in life.
The more places we explored, the more we realised that possessions aren’t what we are after, we’d rather spend our money towards building our memories together.
10. ‘The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot.’ – Michael Altshuler
- ‘All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveller is unaware’ – Martin Buber
- ‘We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.’ – Walt Disney
- ‘Travel brings power and love back into your life.’ – Rumi Jalalud-Din
- ‘Take only memories, leave only footprints.’ – Chief Seattle
15. ‘Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.’ – Gustave Flaubert
- ‘We should travel light and live simply. Our enemy is not possessions but excess.’ – John Stott
- ‘Travel is a new experience that can transport you out of your everyday routine to create memories with the ones you love.’ – Brian Chesky
‘Travel is a new experience that can transport you out of your everyday routine to create memories with the ones you love.’ – Brian Chesky.
The world is big, and there’s so much to explore.
Adventure awaits at every corner and the more we see the more memories we create.
Before we started travelling, most days were easily forgotten as the routine took over.
Today, every day is different, there’s more unknown than known and that makes us look forward to what’s to come.
We completely changed our travel habits and let the journey reveal itself.
Like most travellers we meet on the road, we no longer follow guidebooks, but let locals tell us where to go.
- ‘It’s been a huge blessing, being able to travel and have a great life.’ – Seann William Scott
19. ‘A small step forward is better than no step at all.’ – Sunset Travellers
- ‘If you don’t get out of the box you’ve been raised in, you won’t understand how much bigger the world is.’ – Angelina Jolie
‘If you don’t get out of the box you’ve been raised in, you won’t understand how much bigger the world is.’ – Angelina Jolie.
When you first leave your home, you quickly realise how much there is to see.
This travel quote makes us realise that although many of us prefer to stay in our bubbles, once we get out, we realise how much we are missing out on.
It’s not all about having that bag, these shoes or that perfect apartment, but realising what’s important in life and prioritising it.
To us travel is the main priority, it brings adventure and excitement to our days and breaks the routine.
- ‘The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see.’ – Gilbert K. Chesterton
- ‘The world is a book, and those who don’t travel only read one page.’ – St Augustine
23. ‘Travel is a new experience that can transport you out of your everyday routine to create memories with the ones you love.’ – Brian Chesky
- ‘Take a moment, look where you are in your life and imagine where you could be.’ – Sunset Travellers
- ‘How often I found where I should be going only by setting out for somewhere else.’ – R. Buckminster Fuller
- ‘We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us.’ – Author Unknown
- ‘Once a year go some place you’ve never been before.’ – Dalai Lama
28. ‘The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.’ – Marcel Proust
‘The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.’ – Marcel Proust.
We never thought how our perspective on life will change with travel.
The more we are travelling, the more our priorities change.
Not long ago we were thinking about settling back in for a bit and for a short while, we both were happy with the decision.
Seeing new destinations only made us realise that travel is what we really want.
Marcel Proust’s travel quotes, best reflect the way we feel about travelling.
- ‘Travel with a partner merges your experiences and divides your problems.’ – Sunset Travellers
- ‘Life isn’t about how many breaths you take, but it’s the moments that take your breath away.’ – Will Smith
- ‘Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.’ – Anthony Bourdain
‘Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay.
The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you.
Hopefully, you leave something good behind.’ – Anthony Bourdain.
Oh, how many times have we struggled when travelling!
Travelling full time really challenges you and it isn’t always all the great memories.
Sometimes we had really bad moments in our travels.
If you are travelling alone, you deal with issues yourself, but with a partner, the problems either get divided or are doubled.
As a couple, travelling really challenges the relationship, it’s a constant work in progress as every day is different.
We found ourselves in many hard and scary situations, but at the end of the day, these moments made us stronger.
Don’t think we will ever forget that moment in Australia staying on a farm, with the owner coming with a shotgun at us.
Or getting food poisoning in Bali.
Steve will also never forgive me for booking accommodation in El Salvador for the wrong dates!
We arrived at the airport, looking for a person who supposed to pick us up, only to realise I booked us in for the wrong month.
Other times we struggled with money.
Landing at Miami airport with $20 left in a bank account because our cards got skimmed and they blocked our accounts.
Or being unable to take money out in Cuba from ATM and going hungry to bed.
All those situations left us with memories, and although not all of them were good, all matter.
32. ‘People don’t take trips – trips take people’ – John Steinbeck
- ‘Remember that happiness is a way of travel – not a destination.’ -Roy M. Goodman
- ‘The most beautiful in the world is, of course, the world itself.’ – Wallace Stevens
- ‘Jobs fill your pocket, but adventures fill your soul.’ – Jamie Lyn Beatty
‘Jobs fill your pocket, but adventures fill your soul.’ – Jamie Lyn Beatty. One of our go-to travel quotes!
If we didn’t take a chance in life and quit our jobs, we probably would have never realised what we want in life.
Or it would at least take us way longer.
We first thought about starting a travel blog in Australia, but only when we got to the Philippines, we realised that it has to happen and Sunset Travellers was created.
Our first blog posts were written in Indonesia, and they were terrible!
Since then we came a long way and share our knowledge with all of our fantastic readers.
Although taking a risk in life can be scary, if we didn’t go on this adventure, we might have never found our passion.
36. ‘The life you have led doesn’t need to be the only life you have.’ – Anna Quindlen
- ‘Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.’― Mark Twain
One of our favourite travel quotes by Mark Twain – ‘Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbour.
Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.’
We all are afraid of something in lives.
For us, it was the insecurity that full-time travel comes with.
We love quotes about adventure and many other famous travel quotes but this Mark Twain’s quote is very meaningful to us.
There is no better way to describe how travel feels like than this adventure quote.
- ‘Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures.’ – Lovelle Drachman
- ‘If you think adventures are dangerous, try routine: It’s Lethal.’ – Paul Coelho
40. ‘Sunsets are not a rare commodity, they come and go every night; so I compare you not to a sunset for you come once in a life.’ – Daniel Cook
- ‘A ship in a harbour is safe, but it not what ships are built for.’ -John A. Shedd
- ‘Travel far enough, you meet yourself.’ – David Mitchell
- ‘If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.’ – James Michener
- ‘To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.’ – Aldous Huxley
‘To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.’ – Aldous Huxley.
Aldous Huxley couldn’t be more right!
His travel quote reminds us of all those people we met who complained about certain destinations.
If we listened to what they say, we would never travel to the unique Holbox island in Mexico, hiked the Maderas volcano in Nicaragua or explored El Salvador. No matter what people say, go and experience the destination yourself. You might just find what you were looking for.
45. ‘A person susceptible to “wanderlust” is not so much addicted to movement as committed to transformation.’ – Pico Iyer
- ‘The gladdest moment in human life, me thinks, is a departure into unknown lands.’ – Sir Richard Burton
- ‘Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire.’ – Jennifer Lee
- ‘Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.’ – Ibn Battuta
- ‘Better to see something once than hear about it a thousand times.’ – Author Unknown
‘Better to see something once than hear about it a thousand times.’
We know many travel quotes, but this one is one of the old times favourite quotes on adventure travel.
How many times do we hear about destinations our friends or family went to and wish we could be there too.
Life is short and there is no reason why we can’t experience a place for ourselves.
Cuba was on our bucket list for a long time and we almost didn’t get there.
The flights were very expensive at the time and it was cheaper to stay in Mexico, then fly there.
We, however, reevaluated our priorities and decided to go there.
This was one of the best decisions we made.
It is such a unique country, with beautiful nature, stunning architecture and incredible atmosphere.
It is so nice to see a place we’ve heard about so much and explore it.
50. ‘Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.’ – Jack Kerouac
- ‘All you need to know is that it’s possible.’ – Wolf, an Appalachian Trail Hiker
- ‘The most beautiful in the world is, of course, the world itself.’ – Wallace Stevens
- ‘Work, Travel, Save, Repeat’
This doesn’t only have to be designated as a quotation on travel alone.
As a couple, we have completed two working holiday visas in Australia and our working holiday visa in Canada.
Both have been incredible experiences, and we documented a lot of our experiences in this blog you are reading.
Our journey was not all sunshine and roses.
Some days we were broke and jobless, other days we were slaving away for little to no money.
We will be always grateful to a train conductor in Mandurah, Australia who paid for our ticket so we can get to Perth to work.
With 10 cents short in cash and only $5 left on ATM card, we were struggling. Oh, the struggle!
Other times we got lucky and had money to travel.
First, we went on the Perth to Melbourne road trip, saw the East Coast of Australia, and finally explored the epic Rocky Mountains.
These working holiday visas have not only changed our lives, but we now live and work from anywhere.
So all the struggle paid off at the end of the day!
- ‘The journey not the arrival matters.’ –T.S. Eliot
55. ‘Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.’ – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- ‘Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.’ – Seneca
One of the most famous travel quotes – ‘Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.’ – Seneca.
Many people follow Instagrammers, wishing they could be them. Travel although might be hard to commit to, changes your entire life.
You become a better person, have more energy and change your life for the better.
Travelling although can seem glamorous on social media it can be extremely hard for a lot of people.
We first arrived in Perth in 2013 and it took us over a month to find any job!
Our savings dwindled while the beer and stress did not. Thankfully we had family over there who put us up.
If it wasn’t for them, we don’t know what we would have done. Many are not so lucky.
Other people, on the other hand, rock up and get a job the next day and don’t know what people are complaining about.
From packing to adjusting to a new climate and surroundings, things are not easy.
But our advice is to embrace it! It will be hard but likely the journey will make you a better person.
- ‘And then there is the most dangerous risk of all — the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.’ – Randy Komisar
- ‘Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.’ – Helen Keller
- ‘One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.’ – Henry Miller
60. ‘All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveller is unaware.’ – Martin Buber
We love traveling quotes!
Whenever we go on a new adventure, we think about a quote to go with it.
We were thinking about this actually quite funny travel quote when exploring Europe.
One of our unexpected surprises happened on our Europe road trip.
We were travelling from San Sebastian to Lisbon and decided to stop in Salamanca only to discover how amazing this place is!
Martin Buber travel quote ‘All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveller is unaware’ was spot on!
We sometimes are looking forward so much to the destination, that forget about the journey.
It is important to embrace everything that comes our way and make the destination something to look forward to, without concentration too much on it.
The journey might not always be how we planned it, but that’s ok.
- ‘Travel makes a wise man better but a fool worse.’ – Thomas Fuller
- ‘The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.’ – Agustine of Hippo
- ‘Not all those who wander are lost’. – J.R.R. Tolkien
- ‘Our happiest moments as tourists always seem to come when we stumble upon one thing while in pursuit of something else.’ – Lawrence Block
‘Our happiest moments as tourists always seem to come when we stumble upon one thing while in pursuit of something else’ Lawrence Block
Martin Buber’s ‘All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveller is unaware’ travel quotes seem to carry a similar message.
One of the biggest regrets we hear from people over the years is that they stayed in the same place and didn’t travel.
They get stuck in a job or “get comfortable” as people would say.
Work, save money and travel as much as you can.
Life is short and it is important to pursue your dreams and tick off places of your bucket list.
65. ‘Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.’ – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- ‘Travelling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comforts of home and friends.’ – Cesare Pavese
- ‘Every man can transform the world from one of monotony and drabness to one of excitement and adventure.’ – Irving Wallace
- ‘We travel, some of us forever, to seek other states, other lives, other souls.’ – Anaïs Nin
- ‘ Life is a journey, enjoy every second of it as the time passes fast.’ – Sunset Travellers
This is one of our travel quotes for couples – ‘ Life is a journey, enjoy every second of it as the time passes fast.’ – Sunset Travellers.
When we are about to leave a destination, we tend to reflect on the past days or weeks being in the place.
We look at what we did and what we could have done more to truly experience the destination.
There has never been a time where we felt like we’ve seen it all and don’t have the urge to return.
Time passes by quickly, and it is super important to do what you want in your life not what others think you should do.
Go and explore the world, collect memories and have an amazing adventure.
And if you aren’t too convinced about travelling the world, read these travel quotes, adventure quotes, mountain quotes or sunset quotes for inspiration.
70. ‘He who would travel happily must travel light.’ -Antoine de St. Exupery
- ‘I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.’ – Mark Twain
72. ‘A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles.’ – Tim Cahill
- ‘Like all great travellers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.’ – Benjamin Disraeli
- ‘Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.’ – Jack Keroua
‘Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain.’ – Jack Keroua.
This quote we also included in our mountain quotes.
When we were both working in an office, we tend to talk about places we would love to travel to.
For Steve, it was Australia, for me it was and still is Santorini.
Although we have visited many islands when Greek island hopping, we decided to wait and go there for our honeymoon.
Since we’ve spent a month in Greece travelling Crete and sightseeing Naxos, we fell in love with this country.
We all should fill our memories with places we went to as at the end of the day, we all remember special times.
75. ‘The biggest adventure you can ever take is to live the life of your dreams.’ – Oprah Winfrey
- ‘Once in a while it really hits people that they don’t have to experience the world in the way they have been told to.’ – Alan Keightley
- ‘Wherever you go, go with all your heart.’ – Confucius
- ‘A great way to learn about your country is to leave it’. – Henry Rollins
- ‘You don’t have to be rich to travel well.’ – Eugene Fodor
80. ‘Own only what you can always carry with you: known languages, known countries, known people. Let your memory be your travel bag.’ – Alexandr Solzhenitsyn
Alexandr Solzhenitsyn once said ‘Own only what you can always carry with you: known languages, known countries, known people. Let your memory be your travel bag.’
We often share these favourite travel quotes with friends if they are asking for travels quotation.
Many people we know can’t live without certain things.
Over the past years, we learnt to let things go as they don’t really matter.
Oh, how many times we had to throw stuff at the airport as our luggage was overweight!
At the beginning it was very hard to let things go, that jacket, yoga mat or dress felt like they are important to us and we have to keep them.
As we travelled more we realised that it is not so important to have a dress for every occasion.
- ‘When preparing to travel, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then take half the clothes and twice the money.’ – Susan Heller
- ‘Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less travelled by.’ – Robert Frost
- ‘There was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars.’ – Jack Kerouac
- ‘Live your life by a compass, not a clock.’ – Stephen Covey
Stephen Covey’s travel the world quote – ‘Live your life by a compass, not a clock’ always gets us back on the right track.
This is also one of our favourite short travel quotes.
How often did we look at the clock thinking when 5 pm will finally free us.
Many of us would like to get travel jobs that allow us to travel the world without any worries.
Steve once got given out to by a German manager of an Irish bar for not correcting glasses seriously enough.
All he wanted to do was walk out of there, but we were so stuck for cash that we had to smile and say YES MAM!
The worst situation you can get yourself in is not having other options.
So our advice would be to put some money away for that rainy day when things do not work out.
That way you can kindly leave the German owner running an Irish bar to collect her own glasses haha.
85. ‘Happiness is letting go of what you think your life is supposed to look like and celebrate it for everything that it is.’ – Mandy Hale
- ‘Go and explore the world, life is too short to spend it in an office.’ – Sunset Travellers
- ‘Everything you do is based on the choices you make.’ – Wayne Dyer
- ‘I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.’ – Mary Anne Radmacher
- ‘To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world.’ – Freya Stark
90. ‘I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.’ – Robert Louis Stevenson
- ‘Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.’ – Anita Desai
‘Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.’ – Anita Desai
This travel quote makes us think about home.
It might sound weird, but every time we return from our 3, 7 or 12 months journey, we are different.
Things might not change back home, but we look at everything with different eyes.
The first time we went back to Ireland and Poland, we were expecting that everything had changed.
But in reality what happened was the same, people worked in the same jobs, the same people were talking about travelling someday, and everything else was exactly the same.
This is a weird thing to experience especially the first time you go back.
But like you, your friends and family get older.
You will feel like you have grown into a new person, but people back home will still see you as that same person who first left.
- ‘Take every chance you get in life, because some things only happen once.’ – Karen Gibbs
- ‘I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read on the train.’ – Oscar Wilde
- ‘Live life with no excuses, travel with no regret’. – Oscar Wilde
95. ‘Good company in a journey makes the way seem shorter.’ – Izaak Walton
One of the best travel quotes for couples – ‘Good company in a journey makes the way seem shorter’ by Izaak Walton.
We are one of the lucky ones who have that other special half to travel with.
Travelling with someone makes you feel more secure, comfortable and you get to experience the journey in a different way.
We’ve been on the road for the past 6 years and every place we went to together, makes it that more special and memorable.
Maybe one day you will be reading this post to someone else and sharing these travel quotes with friends.
- ‘I travel not to cross countries off a list, but to ignite passionate affairs with destinations.’ – Nyssa P. Chopra
- ‘People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things.’ – Edmund Hillary
- ‘You need not even listen, just wait…the world will offer itself freely to you, unmasking itself.’ – Franz Kafka
- ‘We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfilment.’ – Hilaire Belloc
100. ‘Travel expands the mind and fills the gap.’ – Sheda Savage
There you have it!
Some of the most inspiring travel quotes.
After years on the road, it is hard sometimes to remember why you started travelling in the first place, therefore we always look back at some of these travel quotes to remind us that it is all worth it.
‘If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.’
If you weren’t thinking about travelling by now we hope that you have at least booked a flight.
All in all, travel has been an amazing eye-opening experience for both of us.
Be sure to pin your favourite images of all of these travel quotes to your Pinterest board.
Or just share it with a friend who needs to get out there!
If you enjoyed these travel quotes we also like these lovely Irish Sayings which put a lot of things into context.
Do you love travel quotes? Got a favourite you want to add?
All the best and safe travels,
Steve and Sabina
Tuesday 15th of December 2020
Great Quotes i will share them with my friends
Thursday 24th of October 2019
Amazing quotes, I have a travel blog and also manages its social media accounts too. Quotes are amazing and now I am gonna use it as captions on Instagram. Thanks for sharing.
Wednesday 12th of June 2019
I love these quotes, especially as there are a few there I’ve never read before The one from – Karen Gibbs ‘Take every chance you get in life, because some things only happen once.’ Looking forward to hearing from you more
Monday 1st of July 2019